Sunday, September 29, 2019

Jim's World

aa5


Two weeks ago, the edition included one and only one article: "TV: Biden and Handler privilege."

Ava and C.I. wrote it.

It was published on September 16th.  C.I. explained in that morning's snapshot:


People need to be listening right now.  It doesn't matter what you think, honestly.  This is how Joe is being seen and you need to register it regardless of what you think.  How important is this issue to me?  I'm about to piss off Jim.  I'm sick, I've got a nasty cold.  But Ava and I wrote our piece for THIRD late Saturday night so it could go up because it's an important topic -- it's largely about this topic.  And, hold on a second, because I'm gong to log onto a computer and publish it (the snapshot is dicated).

Alright, it's up: "TV: Biden and Handler privilege" and it addresses the reality that no one wants to talk about.  How Joe violated the rules of the debate -- they were noted by David Muir at the start.  How Joe had spoken of healthcare first and then had been allowed three rebuttals.  It was finally Julian Castro's turn to speak for the first time on the topic and Joe, in violation of the rules, interrupts Julian's time to speak for his fifth time.

It's White privilege, stop pretending otherwise.  The Anglo White media started whining about tone and fairness but they never seemed to grasp that Joe was in violation of the rules, outlined at the star of the debate by Muir, and that Joe interrupted Julian's time.  Joe did that throughout the debate.  Despite Muir declaring that those who interrupted would have time taken from them, no punishment for Joe.  He was rude and entitled and it's about damn time the chatty Anglo White pundits explained why they never bothered to note that Joe speaking during Julian's turn was a violation of the rules.



I wasn't pissed off.

I would become embarrassed.


But I wasn't pissed.

First, we could have published other things that day if we wanted.

C.I. putting up the piece she and Ava wrote didn't prevent that.

Second, it was a time issue.  The topic was timely and that's why they wrote it.  It should have been up on time.

More to the point, the edition should have been up.

Yes, it should have been up for time reasons.

But that's not what I mean.  I am embarrassed because Ava and C.I. showed up with an entire edition basically.  They were sick and maybe I wasn't paying attention, maybe they were a little off their game because they were sick.  However it happened, I was wrong.

They had a video to highlight for the week -- Joy Reid on this topic.  Joy Reid?  Not a fan and I probably shut down for that reason.  When C.I. highlighted it at THE COMMON ILLS and I streamed it, I saw that we should have highlighted it here.

Ava and C.I. had two truest statements regarding Julian Castro's interaction with Joe Biden.  They had an article proposal for how Joe's treatment of Castro tied into his earlier treatment of people of color like Kamala Harris and Cory Booker.  They basically laid out an entire edition.

I didn't see it.  And that's partly because I didn't get it.  I didn't get how rude Joe was, I didn't get how the press rudeness that followed was basically telling the Latino to shut the f**k up, that, as a Latino, he didn't matter.

C.I. highlighted (in at least two snapshots, maybe three) Ruben Navarrette Jr.'s "Julian Castro is no ageist, he's just practicing presidential politics while Hispanic" (USA TODAY) and, when reading that, I finally got it.

So, no, I wasn't pissed.  I was, however, embarrassed.  I didn't get it.  It took me a bit to get it.  And when I didn't get it, I shot down an entire edition that would have been so easy to do because Ava and C.I. had mapped the whole thing out.


Since I do check out the statistics each week, I should probably note that "TV: Biden and Handler privilege" struck a huge recognition chord.  Not only did we get a ton of e-mails on it, it is now the most read piece of 2019 at this site.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }