Sunday, March 15, 2009

A note to our readers

Hey --


Sunday, Sunday. Along with Dallas, the following worked on this edition:


The Third Estate Sunday Review's Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, and Ava,

Rebecca of Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude,

Betty of Thomas Friedman Is a Great Man,

C.I. of The Common Ills and The Third Estate Sunday Review,

Kat of Kat's Korner (of The Common Ills),

Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix,

Mike of Mikey Likes It!,

Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz,

Ruth of Ruth's Report,

Wally of The Daily Jot,

Marcia of SICKOFITRDLZ

and Stan of Oh Boy It Never Ends.

We thank them all. What did we end up with?

Truest statement of the week -- John Ross.

Truest statement of the week II -- Anthony Arnove. There were other nominees for truest but it was clearly Ross and Arnove's week. The only dispute was over who should go where.


Editorial: Do you care enough to show up? -- The editorial. On this topic, we had six ways to go and, due to disputes, used pretty much all six ways. (Jess points out that he and C.I. had also proposed working in Heart's "Will You Be There In The Morning?" I missed that suggestion. Had I heard it, we would have used it. "Will you be there in the morning . . . Will you be there when I wake up . . .") The action is this Saturday. Those who want the illegal war to end should take part.

TV: The cavers and the fighters -- We piled a lot on Ava and C.I. this week. We'd asked them to just cover entertainment. Then, Saturday night, we hit them with, "Can you cover anything else?" That was when we were in a panic over this edition. They said they'd do what they could. They did. This is a lot stronger than we expected. Ava and C.I. note (TV note) that ABC World News Tonight is supposed to report on Iraq all week this week.

Talking Iraq -- The Iraq roundtable.

Barry 'No, we don't!', Arne 'Yes, we do!' -- This is an idea Mike, Ruth and C.I. pitched. In various ways, they worked it last week. (C.I. says, "I did not." Mike and Ruth have already given C.I. credit for help on Thursday.)

Barry BailOuts -- And he wants to travel!!!! He wants to leave the US!!!! And he's still not fixing the economy (still no plan released).

Ty's Corner Mailbag -- Ty grabbed the e-mails and worked through some of the most common and or most pressing topics.

The Bronze Boobs go to . . . -- Corrente more than earned it. They more than earned it. And then some.

Afghanistan -- We mainly wanted to include the excerpt from Dissident Voice. This was Wally and Betty figuring out how we could structure this after Dona had already said it had to be a short piece or she didn't want to hear about (we were all tired and trying to finish up).

The No Agenda? -- Barack's do-nothing committee got the usual easy praise -- but from whom was sometimes surprising.

Those shoulders -- Dona wanted a short feature. Someone (Rebecca?) suggested this as we were rushing to finish. It was shot down as, "That's sexism." At which point, Ava and C.I. spoke up. (They hadn't spoken prior.) "How is it sexism? She's presented herself as a fashion plate," Ava pointed out. C.I., "If I go into an interview in a short skirt and no panties, I can't be upset if the press wants to write about. If I have no projects or anything of value and waste everyone's time posing for Vogue and more, I've declared fashion all my shallow mind can handle and, in a position that the press has to cover in some form, I've invited them to talk about what I reveal by my choices of outfits." This was the surprise piece in that we all liked the way it turned out.

Friday roundtable -- The roundtable Rebecca moderated Friday.

Highlights -- Mike, Elaine, Betty, Ruth, Stan, Wally, Kat, Rebecca, Marcia and Cedric worked on this and picked the highlights unless they note otherwise. We thank them for that. They also include the e-mail address (Dona just pointed out) thirdestatesundayreview@yahoo.com. A number of e-mails last week complained it was hard to locate our e-mail address (it's on our profile).

And that's it. That's what we have. We will do an edition next week. We will also be taking part in demonstrations. We hope you will be standing up as well.
-- Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, Ava and C.I.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }