Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Book Talk (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021 and 2023, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. This go round, we're talking to Marcia about her review "California Dreamin': The True Story of the Mamas and the Papas."  That's Mama Michelle Phillips' memoir about her time in the classic and legendary rock group.  You liked the book.



Marcia: Correct. I loved it.  So there was a band in the sixties called the Mamas and the Papas and they were huge.  It was Michelle Phillips, Cass Elliot, Denny Doherty and John Phillips.  Michelle and John were married.  In the 80s, they both published books.  PAPA JOHN is insufferable and boring.  That's his book -- you can ask my wife about it.  Michelle's book was a joy to read full of funny moments and serious moments.  She also had recall of specific events whereas -- maybe it was all the drugs he did and then ended up selling in the 70s and early 80s -- John honestly didn't seem to remember much of anything.  At all.


What were the best parts for you?

Marcia: Cass.  Cass really comes alive in Michelle's book.  I greatly enjoyed Owen Vanessa Elliot's MY MAMA, CASS: A MEMOIR.  It was a very moving book. [See Kat's "MY MAMA, CASS" for a review of Owen's book.]  But Cass died when Owen was so young.  There are a lot of great stories in Michelle's book that reminds you how great Cass was -- as a singer, as a strong woman, as an artist and a mom to young Owen.  Michelle got to know Cass as a friend and a peer.  Michelle does a great job with portraits. My wife said, of the two books, that she didn't get the impression from John's book that he ever spent much time thinking about anyone but himself.  


A part that made you laugh?
 

Marcia: They would turn the plane upside down.  They traveled to concerts in a plane.  Private.  The pilot would flip it upside down and they'd float and be weightless.  I loved on the island where the four begin to sing together.  I just loved so much of it.  My wife said Michelle's book was more cinematic and really should have been turned into a film.  And let's talk what I did not know.  The book notes that "Monday Monday" was a number one hit and the band's only number one hit.  But that's not really true?

 
No, it's not.
 

Marcia: You, C.I., told me that they had another number one hit and, in fact, you could argue that number one was more important.  "California Dreamin'," written by John and Michelle Phillips, only made it to number four on the weekly top 40 -- anyone remember Kasey Kasum?  "The weekly top 40."  But it's a bigger hit than "Monday Monday."  And I should have gotten that because "Monday Monday" is a gold record -- which is good -- but "California Dreamin'" is a triple platinum seller.  How did that happen?  Because it was the bigger hit.  Though "California Dreamin'" never made it above number four during the weeks of 1966, it ended up being, at the end of the year, the number one song on the Billboard charts.  Number one for the year.  Biggest hit of the year.  So, yeah, I agree with you, "California Dreamin'" needs to be called a number one hit.  
 

What's your favorite Mamas and Papas song?

Marcia: I love them all but I especially love "Dedicated To The One I Love."  I bought my first album of the Mamas and the Papas because of that song.  Michelle Phillips had just come on KNOTS LANDING as Ann -- Paige's mother and Mac's old girlfriend -- and they'd play that song for her scenes.  I loved that song and my parents told me -- this was pre-internet days, you had to have someone tell you, that it was a Mamas and Papas hit song.  So went out and got the cassette called something like 16 OF THEIR GREATEST HITS.  So "Dedicated" is one of my favorites.  I love everything on that album.  After "Dedicated," my favorite song would be "Safe In My Garden."  Third would be "Got A Feelin'."  I love everything on THE PAPAS AND THE MAMAS and I love "Dancing Bear" and "Snow Queen of Texas" and "I Wanna Be  A Star" and "Creeque Alley" and all of it.  I just love them.  They were such a great group.  And I recommend Michelle's book CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'.


 

 -------------------

 

Previous book discussions: 

 

"Books (Dona, Ava and C.I.)"

 "Books (Jess, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Ty, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Stan, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Trina, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ruth, Jim, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ann, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Stan, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Dona, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Stan, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Ann, Marcia, Trina, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Elaine, Ava and C.I.)

"Books (Marcia, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

 "Book Talk (Kat, Ava and C.I.)"

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }