Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Book Talk (Ann, Marcia, Trina, Ava and C.I.)

 

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021 and 2023, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. After a review posts, we try to do a discussion with the reviewer.  This go round, we're talking to  Ann about "J Randy Taraborrelli's awful Beyonce book," Marcia about "Sheila Weller's Carrie Fisher: A Life On The Edge" and Trina about "Sheet Pan Fajita Shrimp in the Kitchen."  Marcia?

 

 

Marcia: I wanted us to do this again and I got a lot of e-mails asking if we were going to.  I spoke with Trina who said she'd kick things off for 2024.


Trina: A lot of people didn't want to do this.  Let me clear on that. I read Lisa Grant's SUPER EASY COOKBOOK FOR BEGINNERS: 5-INGREDIENT RECIPES AND ESSENTIAL TECHNIQUES TO GET YOU STARTED.  It's a straight forward book and I can talk about that but with the review, I tried to keep it brief and simple because we thought -- Marcia and I -- that one reason so many in the community were luke warm on another year of books was because it felt like assignments to them. 


Ann: And then Marcia goes next and writes a mammoth book review.


Marcia: I didn't plan on that.  I was reviewing Sheila Weller's Carrie Fisher biography and it's just so damn embarrassing.  It actually reminded me of a book that Ava and C.I. have called out.  IS THAT A GUN IN YOUR POCKET?  The author savaged Elaine May's directing while creating this myth of Jodie Foster as a great director.  Jodie's a great actress.  She is not a great director.  Sorry.  By contrast, Elaine My has created art when directing.  Sheila was just a little fan girl of Carrie Fisher and it got old real quick.


Ann, you had a different reaction -- or are we reading that wrong? -- with the Beyonce book?


Ann: No, you're right.  The bad author thought every event and every step had to go into the book.  Elizabeth Taylor was a child star.  That's why you can focus on her childhood in depth.  There's no point to do that with Beyonce.  And instead of telling her story, it looked like a timeline.  There was never roomto examine the significant moments because everything was treated as spellbinding and amazing and once in a lifetime -- it was just too much damn hype.


You don't recommend the book you read?

 

Ann: I certainly don't.


Marcia?

Marcia: I never want to read Sheila's bad book again.


Trina?


Trina: I actually think Lisa Grant's book was interesting to read and would be very helpful to beginning cooks.  She breaks things down clearly and walks you through.  One of the two best beginners cookbooks I've ever read.  And I'm not naming the other because I'll review it when my turn rolls around next.


Okay, thank all of three of you.


 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }