Sunday, July 07, 2024

Book Talk (Kat, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021 and 2023, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. After a review posts, we try to do a discussion with the reviewer.  This go round, we're talking with Kat  about her "C'MON, GET HAPPY is the worst book of 2024" which is David Fantle and Tom Johnson book about -- or supposedly about -- the making of the Judy Garland and Gene Kelly film SUMMER STOCK.  The book's full title is C'MON, GET HAPPY: THE MAKING OF SUMMER STOCK.  Kat, your reaction?

 

Kat: I love GET HAPPY.  I hated that book.  

 

You note that the authors are detached.

 

Kat: Right.  They seem embarrassed to admit that there is so much joy in that movie.  And there is.  It is a classic film.  A musical classic.  But they can't love it and they can hate it and it's a detached and distant book that plods along slowly.  How do you produce a book so boring and so dull about a film like SUMMER STOCK?  "Get Happy" alone should lead to 15 pages of raving.

 

It's a 285 page book and you note that you said enough around page 214.  You write:

 

If you're not getting how awful this book is, it's not until page 118 that we're finally to "THE DAY THE CAMERAS STARTED TO ROLL" -- all caps are done by the authors, maybe in an attempt to wake back up the readers.

We have had to wait 118 pages before we get to the filming of the movie.  


And then it gets worse.  Page 132 announces, "IT'S A WRAP!"  Again, the authors use the all caps.


We had to wait 118 pages before getting to the start of filming and then 15 pages later we're done?


 

Kat: Right.  The authors want to cover everything but the filming.  And that's really sad.  Access to the daily production logs alone should have resulted in more than 15 pages about the shooting of the film.

 

You found the book very disappointing.

 

Kat: I did and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it or try to read it.  Judy and SUMMER STOCK deserved so much better.

 

 

---------------------

Previous book discussions: 


"Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ruth, Jim, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ann, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Stan, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Dona, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Stan, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Ann, Marcia, Trina, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Elaine, Ava and C.I.)

"Books (Marcia, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

 

 

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }