Monday, August 07, 2023

Books (Ruth, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. Since the last installment of this feature, we're speaking with  Ruth about her "Elizabeth Taylor -- two books" which covers Katy Holborn's ELIZABETH TAYLOR: AN ELIZABETH TAYLOR BIOGRAPHY and Gian-Luca di Rocco's WOMEN IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT: CHARTING SOCIETAL PROGRESS THROUGH THE FILMS OF ELIZABETH TAYLOR AND JANE FONDA 1944-1981.  You really did not like Holborn's book.

 

Ruth:  I did not.  First off, it was a superficial book that read like Cliff Notes.  Second, the writers knew very little about Elizabeth Taylor's career and clearly did not bother to brush up on it.


You're referring on that last point to Holborn's claim that Elizabeth had no iconic screen moments?


Ruth: Yes. My mother was a huge fan of Elizabeth Taylor and I grew up as her early films were being shown on TV in the 50s.  I had just finished high school when CLEOPATRA came out. It was the most covered film of my lifetime and I do not mean with reviews when the film came out.  Elizabeth Taylor had been married to Mike Todd but then he died in a plane crash.  Among those comforting her were Eddie Fisher who would leave his wife Debbie Reynolds for Elizabeth.  This was a huge scandal -- I was in junior high at the time.  It was one of the biggest celebrity scandals of that era.  That all paled in comparison to what was about to happen. After several starts and stops, CLEOPATRA officially began filming in September of 1961.  It was already news because it had changed directors in the process, because Elizabeth Taylor was paid one million dollars to play the part, and much more.  But it was about to capture the world's attention and hold it for months.  Richard Burton, who was married, and Elizabeth began an affair.  Eddie Fischer would leave the shooting.  It was called "La Scandal" and it was a big deal.  The Vatican condemned Elizabeth. Everyone talked about the affair, it was in the papers, it was on TV and radio.  Was it just an on-set romance?  In the end, no.  And it was the most publicized romance of its era.  And that is why CLEOPATRA was such a hit -- it had a huge budget that would take a few years to make back, but it was the number one film of the year in ticket sales.  Now all that media attention might obliterate Elizabeth's iconic film moments for those who discover Elizabeth after she passed away in 2011, but she had her screen moments, her iconic screen moments.  I list some of them in my post but there are so many more.   


Do you feel like she even understood Elizabeth's career?


Ruth: Not at all.  Films were something Elizabeth toyed with when not having sex -- that seems to be the author's attitude.  She had no concept of how, for example, Elizabeth dug deep to deliver the standout performance of Maggie in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.  Watch that film and grasp that Elizabeth loses Mike Todd during the filming.  They were supposed to get on a flight together to New York where he would accept an award but she had a cold and Todd told her she needed to stay home and get some rest.  The plane he was on crashed.  She not only lost her husband, she also had to live with the survivor's guilt that was amplified by "I would have been on that flight if he hadn't stopped me."  Despite that, she delivered an incredible performance.  She was a very talented actress.  And she was good even when she made a bad film.


The other book, Gian-Luca di Rocco's WOMEN IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT: CHARTING SOCIETAL PROGRESS THROUGH THE FILMS OF ELIZABETH TAYLOR AND JANE FONDA 1944-1981, was one you liked.


Ruth: I did.  The premise is that the two actresses' film roles documented the changes in the lives of women.  I agree with that premise.  The author seems to feel that Elizabeth's films did a better job of demonstrating the changes.  I disagree with that.  I think in certain areas, it's Elizabeth's films and in other areas it would be Jane's films.  And Elizabeth's films of the early 70s -- even the bad ones -- say a lot about the status of women.


What are your top ten favorite films with Elizabeth Taylor?


Ruth: Oh.  Number one would be WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOLF? which resulted in her second Academy Award for Best Actress.  Then I would go with CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF with her and Paul Newman in the film adaptation of Tennessee Williams' play.   A PLACE IN THE SUN with Montgomery Clift.   SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER with Clift again and with Katharine Hepburn. THE SANDPIPER -- I love the look and detail of the film that Vincent Minnelli brings as director and she and Richard Burton have solid chemistry.  X, Y AND ZEE with Susannah York and Michael Caine.  Elizabeth's married to Michael who is having an affair with Susannah and Elizabeth will do anything to keep her marriage.  I'd include NIGHTWATCH on the list and wish people would reconsider the film.  It's a suspense one where you have to wonder if Elizabeth's going crazy or people are tying to make her think she's crazy.  Laurence Harvey is appropriately creepy in the role of her husband.  GIANT teams her with Rock Hudson and James Dean in this George Stevens epic.  THE TAMING OF THE SHREW.  I have seen a lot of adaptations and homages to this William Shakespeare play and Franco Zeffirelli's version with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton is the best.  The tenth pick?  That is hard.  I will go with ANY WEDNESDAY which she stars in with Henry Fonda.  And it is hard not because there are so few other films she made that I like but because there are so many that I really enjoy.  REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE, BOOM, THE ONLY GAME, THE VIPS, HAMMERSMITH IS OUT, SECRET CEREMONY, THE MIRROR CRACK'D, THE COMEDIANS, FATHER OF THE BRIDE, IVANHOE, NATIONAL VELVET . . . I could go on and on.  And since I brought up Jane Fonda, let me note my top ten favorite films with her.  1) KLUTE -- a great film and the best performance by any actress in film in the 20th century.  2) COMING HOME -- a film that is a beauty for the eyes and ears.  3) THE MORNING AFTER.  4) BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.  5) 9 TO 5.  6) THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY.  7) JULIA.  8) FUN WITH DICK & JANE.  9) CAT BALLOU.  10) MOVING ON.  Again, my top ten favorite but not my only favorites starring Jane Fonda.  I really do recommend Gian-Luca di Rocco's book.


 

-------------------

Previous book discussions this year.

"Books (Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Mike, Ava and C.I.),"  "Books (Ann, Elaine, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ann and C.I.)," "Books (Ruth, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Mike, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Ann, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)" and "Books (Ava and C.I.)."

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }