Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Books (Isaiah, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

We're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community.  Isaiah's "Paul Kupperberg's DIRECT CONVERSTIONS: TALKS WITH FELLOW DC COMICS BRONZE AGE CREATORS" went up Sunday.  It's a book about comic book creators.

 

Isaiah: Right.  For those who don't know, I draw a comic called THE WORLD TODAY JUST NUTS.  I grew up loving comic books.  MAD MAGAZINE as well as various superhero comics.

 

CRACKED?

 

Isaiah: Not really.  I'd read it if they did a parody of a TV show I liked.  But their drawings didn't impress me the way MAD's did.  And MAD was funnier.  I don't even remember a regular feature in CRACKED.  But, along with TV and movie parodies, MAD had Spy V Spy and that inside back page that would fold over to make another picture.  

 

You didn't care for the book.  


Isaiah: I hated it.  Arcane trivia about things that really don't matter. "I created, Karen  Beecher, Bumblebee, in THE TEEN TITANS (#45, December, 1976) because Mal Duncan needed a girlfriend, and along the way, I happened to create DC's first Black superheroine."  That's said in passing.  There's no effort to explore it, no discussion of how Bumblebee impacts the comic world.  Just this breezy comment that's totally useless.  I do not recommend this book to anyone.


Did you learn anything from the book?


Isaiah: Yeah, that at my site where I archive my comics, I need to do more when I repost.  I don't want to be as disappointing as Kuppenberg.  So when I repost an old comic of mine there, I'll try to add more detail from now on.


-----------------


 

Previous book discussions this year:
 
 
 




 

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }