Monday, June 17, 2024

Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021 and 2023, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. After a review posts, we try to do a discussion with the reviewer.  This go round, we're talking to Kat about her "Andrew McCarthy's BRAT."  Set us up, Kat.

 

Kat: Andrew McCarthy is a director and writer these days but, two years out of high school, he became a name actor in the 80s.  He came to fame with CLASS starring himself, Jacqueline Bisset and Rob Lowe. His fourth film was ST. ELMO'S FIRE which also starred Demi Moore, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe and Mare Winningham.  The term "brat pack" was coined ahead of the movie's release when a journalist profiling Emilio wrote up a piece.  This was a label Andrew found destructive and felt haunted him and destroyed some of his acting choices.


You enjoyed the book?


Kat: Yes, I did.  I did note in my review that Andrew's interpretations might not always be the definitive one. But he came off very honest.  And it's a great book.


It's also a documentary now airing on HULU -- since Friday.


Kat: Yes, I really enjoyed the documentary.  Demi Moore, for example, had a better interpretation and so did a producer --


Lauren Shuler Donner.

 

Kat: Yes.  They seemed to grasp that it wasn't the end of the world.  Others -- males -- weren't so smart.  C.I., why did Demi succeed?

 

C.I.: I think you mean, of that group, Demi's the one had the big career.  Why her?  Looks and talent, clearly but she's also been interested in life beyond the screen from the beginning.  That's why she's able to see the reality of the label.  And it's why she shaped a career.  Yes, GHOST made her the big star.  But she didn't follow up ST. ELMO'S FIRE with obvious choices -- THE SEVENTH SIGN, for example, wasn't an obvious choice and she won respect for her performance.  And then, after mega stardom, she's still doing interesting choices like MORTAL THOUGHTS which I love, great movie. Demi didn't and doesn't get stuck in what was.  Some do.  Others had drug problems or other issues.  Rob Lowe did pretty well, however.  And Emilio's carved out a nice directing career.  

 

Kat: What about Andrew though?  The label, he had felt, reduced his accomplishments and talent.

 

C.I.: Andrew's recollections might be correct but his judgments are not.  Andrew had it better than any man in the so-called 'brat pack.'  His image in the industry in 1985 was better then any of those men.  He was doing a play -- stretching -- and -- this is something not in the movie and -- I assume -- not in the book -- he was in a relationship.

 

Kat: Gay?

 

C.I.: No, but he seems to treat it that way.  He was with an older woman in the industry and as a result he stood out.  He went on to make very bad choices in film but if he'd done better with selecting material, he would have been huge.  The play, the relationship, it made it seem like he maturity.  I also question his notion of the brat pack.  Lea Thompson, sure. Molly Ringwald, no.  Molly did the John Hughes movies -- he's not the brat pack king.  She was fired from FACTS OF LIFE, she did three popular films with Hughes, she had that bitter and angry moment with Claudette Colbert that turned the industry against her -- Claudette was known to be a lesbian but it really wasn't Molly's place to announce that.  Lea, fine.  Tom Cruise, Timothy Hutten, Sean Penn, Phoebe Cates even.  But no to Molly and a few others.

 

Kat: Yeah.  And Mare Winningham should be removed from it too.  She'd established herself in TV movies starting back in the 70s.  I would say to people, watch the documentary.  If you like it, grab Andrew's book because it will give you even more.

 


---------------------

Previous book discussions:

"Books (Ruth, Jim, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)"

"Books (Ann, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Stan, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Dona, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"

 

"Book Talk (Stan, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"


"Book Talk (Ann, Marcia, Trina, Ava and C.I.)"

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }