Monday, April 15, 2024

Book Talk (Dona, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021 and 2023, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. After a review posts, we try to do a discussion with the reviewer.  This go round, we're talking to Dona about her "THE LESSONS OF MAMA TEMBO (Dona)."  Dona?

 

 Dona: The book I went with is a children's book.  We've got two kids now -- Jim and I -- the youngest is five and we needed a new book to read and I was too tired to go to the bookstore.  So I used our tablet to pull up KINDLE UNLIMITED and we found The LESSONS OF MAMA TEMBO.  We found it -- together.  And this was a case of judging the book by the cover.  Sam Burk does the illustrations for the book including on the cover and they are arresting images.  Each page contains one.  The words are written by Jimmy Dirsdom.  It's a wonderful book.

 

You note that it addresses the way we're connected.

 

Dona: It does.  Not just the animals but the people need nature.  Mama Tembo is saddened by the fact that the forest is being torn down and replaced with a city.  And she's wise and loving.  Finn is her child.  We all have to get along, Mama Tembo explains, and that's humans and animals.  The truest that you two brought up, David A. Love,  "Green Spaces Are The Key To Restoring Our Bodies, Minds and Soul" (THE BLACK COMMENTATOR).  I think it fits in -- same message.  And, yes, the book does have a moral or a point to make.  Sometimes its fun to just read a silly book to your child but there are times when you do want a book that conveys the importance of the world around us.


You didn't do a book review last year.


Dona: No, I didn't.  I had before.  Marcia's the main reason we're doing the books this year and not taking a year off. She asked me what my objection was and we talked about it and I said I just didn't want homework.  I've got two kids now and I don't feel like doing a 16 page book review.  With the youngest, I'm pretty much just reading picture books these days.  And she said that's fine, and that a book review could be two paragraphs.  So, with that understanding, I said I'd support us again covering books.  And mine is a short review.  If you're a parent, you'll probably be happy about that.


Thank you, Dona.

-------------


Previous book discussions:

 

"Book Talk (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

 "Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"

 

"Book Talk (Stan, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)"

"Book Talk (Mike, Ava and C.I.)"


"Book Talk (Ann, Marcia, Trina, Ava and C.I.)"


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

, a children's book published last year.  The text is written by Jimmy Dirsdom with Sam Burk doing the illustrations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }