Monday, October 09, 2023

Stan goes to the movies

Most weekends find Stan offering a movie review (without spoilers).

 

THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER

THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER.  I was eager to see this film.  Word that reviewers found it awful had me worried but this is a really strong horror film.  To be sure, it wouldn't be half of what it is without Ellen Burstyn.  She returns as Chris -- mother of Regan.  She was nominated for an Academy Award for the original EXORCIST (and won one for ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE).  Linda Blair played Regan and returned for the first sequel but Ellen's never appeared in any of the sequels before.  She brings real gravity to the role and that's due, first and foremost, to the fact that she's an incredible actress, but it's also due to 'lived experience.'  We have lived with her as Chris for years and years.  We've seen the original film dozens of times and we know what Chris had to endure.  So we've got that 'lived experience' with the character that we don't have with the newer characters.  We identify with her and would even if Ellen walked through the film with no emotion.  She doesn't though, she delivers one of her high caliber performances.

And I don't get how the critics dismiss that.

What am I saying?

I've read Ava and C.I. for nearly two decades.  As they note repeatedly, women do not get the credit they deserve when it comes to acting.  And that's proven with the negative spin on THE EXCORIST: BELIEVER.  If this was a sequel to some 70s film -- say FRENCH CONNECTION -- and Gene Hackman walked through a two minute cameo they would be going to town on the film.  I remember years ago, reading Ava and C.I. talking about AGNES OF GOD and how Jane Fonda and Anne Bancroft really deliver in that film but the critics pretended not to notice and that this was two of the country's strongest actress who both studied with Lee Strasberg and were members of The Actors Studio and the critics ignored that as well.  But they rave over two similar men.  Or, as Ava and C.I. have pointed out,  the critics go to town praising Robert DeNiro for his weight gain in RAGING BULL but act like Jane Fonda doing the same to play the lead in THE DOLLMAKER was not worth noting.  Really?  Because unlike DeNiro, Jane's body was the breathing poster for her workout business -- gyms and videos and albums and books.  

So I guess it's not surprising that Ellen Bursytn has delivered an amazing performance and the critics would rather talk about something else.

Let me note my ten favorite Ellen Burstyn performances:

1) RESURRECTION

2) ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE 

3) THE SPITFIRE GRILL

4) THE YARDS 

5) REQUIEM FOR A DREAM

6) THE EXORCIST

7) THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER

8) LUCY IN THE SKY

9) THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

10) TWICE IN A LIFETIME

Let me note some stuff.  First, Ava and C.I.'s latest is "Media: The week of WTF?," so check that out.  Second, Rebecca continues the story of transphobe Martina Navratilova in "macho martina gets more disgusting."  Third, Ruth's "MAGNUM P.I. returns (for final season)" covers the new episode this week of MAGNUM P.I. and my girlfriend wants me to note, "Ruth is 100% right.  If you like the show, you will love this week's episode."

 

Going out with C.I.'s "Iraq snapshot:"

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }