Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Books (Ann, Mike, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. After a review posts, we try to do a discussion with the reviewer.  This go round, we're talking to Mike about his "Andrea Warner's BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE: THE AUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY" and Ann about her "Split Image: The Life of Anthony Perkins." You both did biographies.  Ann, let's start with you.  Anthony Perkins was an actor famous for PSYCHO and MAHOGANY among others.  You liked the book.

 

Ann: I did.  Charles Winecoff is the author and if I come across a book by him again, I will definitely be picking it up.  The book came out in 1996.  I think it would be better if it were written today.  For example, Mildred Newman could get the scorn she truly deserves.  She's one of those quacks who 'cured' gays.  And some bisexuals like Paul Newman.  We're not playing here, are we?


No, we aren't pathetic liar Ethan Hawke trying to pretend, all this time later, that Paul Newman was straight.  We noted he was actually bisexual when he was still alive.


Ann: I just think she did real damage.  Joel Schumacher, the director, was one of the few who refused to go along with her 'cure.'  Good for him.  She didn't 'cure' Tony, she destroyed him.  She told him who he was was wrong.  She sent him off into a sham marriage -- and I don't need to hear how long they were together.  Here's reality, Tony found out he had AIDS from the press.  A blood test was done that he didn't know about and then the results were sold to the press.  


Meaning?


Ann: He did of AIDS.  Mildred's 'cure' didn't take.  He got AIDS from sex.  And the sham marriage was a fake.  He had AIDS.  He died of AIDS.  If he and the woman he married truly were having sex, chances are she would have caught AIDS too.  It's a shame because he could have and should have had a happy life.  He was propositioning men throughout the marriage, as the book notes.  He wanted children and he had two sons.  Then, apparently, he and his wife stopped having sex. Which is why his wife never caught AIDS.  If Mildred hadn't done the number on him that she did, he could have walked away from the marriage.  He could have had some happiness.


Mike, your book was about singer-songwriter Buffy Sainte-Marie.  Did she have happiness?


Mike: It's hard to know what she had in the bad book I read.  It's appalling.  It's so badly written.  And reads like it's intended audience is a group of third graders. Buffy's had an interesting life but skip the book and go read WIKIPEDIA, you'll learn much more about her and learn it more quickly.  I can't think of a book I've hated more.


And you're a fan of Buffy's music.


Mike: I am.  I was so excited when I saw this book on AMAZON.  I purchased it and thought it was going to really be something.  It's not anything.  The only time the author seems awake is when briefly detailing abuse in the third marriage.  It's as though that's what the author needs in order to feel vested in the material.


July was the half-way point for the year.  You've both reviewed books previously this year -- Ann, you noted, for example, that this was your third book for the year -- and how do you think that's going?


Ann: I've enjoyed it.  I've enjoyed reading everyone's reviews.  I did think I had done more than three.  I felt like I was doing too many and keeping others from doing a review.  If I'd know it was only three, I would have done several this summer.  By the way, it's Rebecca and Marcia this week as they do their summer read, right?


That's what it's supposed to be, yes.  Mike?

 

 

Mike: I like that we've got a variety of books this year.  I've enjoyed reading and reviewing the two science books, for example.  I wish I was interested in fiction but I'm really not, sorry.  I would absolutely be on board with us continuing this in 2024 -- where every week we try to have a book review at one of the community sites.  I do think it serves a purpose and I get a lot of e-mails about people say they enjoy the reviews as well.


Okay, thank you both.


 

 

-------------------

Previous book discussions this year.

"Books (Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Mike, Ava and C.I.),"  "Books (Ann, Elaine, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ann and C.I.)," "Books (Ruth, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Mike, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Ann, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)" and "Books (Ava and C.I.)."

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }