Monday, March 20, 2023

Books (Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

Last week, Rebecca's "the world according to joan" went up and we're talking to her about the book THE WORLD ACCORDING TO JOAN by Joan Collins.  So Rebecca, the Joan Collins book.  It's a collection of essays, correct?


Rebecca: Right.  She's written them for various publications on a variety of topics such as fashion, eating, dieting, shopping, etc.  


She comes off a little older, judging by your review.

Rebecca: She's going to be 91 this May so, yes, she's hit that 'in my day' position.  It still makes for enjoyable reading.

Anything you found that was wrong factually?

Rebecca: You've read it, haven't you?  That's why you're asking.  Okay, yes, she talks about being in a store in NYC and this rude American who wants to be waited on even though the clerk has been helping Joan and is now adding up her purchases.  Joan quotes several of his rude remarks.  At one point she has the rude American say for the clerk to "ring up" the manager and, no, I doubt that's what he said.  We Americans don't say "ring up."  We might say "call" or "get," but we don't tell someone in a store to "ring up" the manager.

You enjoyed the book.


Rebecca: I did.  But, again, she has reached that age where younger people are just not doing it right -- not at airports, not at stores, not anywhere.  And I am so fearful that I'll be there shortly with that "in my day" attitude.  But she carries it off.  I did find her comments about the way some younger actresses dress to be interesting since she did not dress up in the sixties as she herself admits in some chapters.

Biggest plus of the book?


Rebecca: Her writing style.  It's like she's sitting across the table with you and talking to you while you have a good lunch.  


You stayed with KINDLE UNLIMITED on AMAZON.  Anything to share on that?


Rebecca: If a new book I'm interested in is coming out and I know about it, I'll buy it.  Otherwise, I'm just going through KINDLE UNLIMITED -- through various genres that interest me -- and finding something to read.  I read about three or four books a month that way and I'm never at a loss for something to read.  My daughter and my husband use it as well so it's a good service to have and we plan on keeping it.
 
 
--------------------------

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }