Wednesday, July 28, 2021

KINDLE UNLIMITED (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

In 2018, community sites took turns covering a book every week.  You can see "In 2018, we read books" to review that coverage.  We didn't want to repeat ourselves in 2019 or 2020.  So when Marcia came up with a way to cover books but with a twist, we were all for it.  Marcia's idea was for us to digital books -- we're largely a printed text crowd -- and to use AMAZON's KINDLE UNLIMITED.  So for 2021, we'll be doing a book a week and trying to just use KINDLE UNLIMITED. This week, we're talking with Marcia about her "Rock Hudson: Erotic Fire."  Marcia, you're really enjoying the Rock Hudson book and we wanted to include it in these features since it's a book you're reading via AMAZON's KINDLE. Were you not finding anything to read with KINDLE UNLIMITED?


Marcia: I really wasn't. I had exhausted what was out there that interested me. I will say that they have a lot of great science fiction. And if I was rereading, I might be interested. I think most people who know my reading habits know that I'm a huge syfy fan and that Octavia Butler is my all time favorite author. I'd say KINDLE UNLIMITED offers a very strong and wide range of syfy titles. I've already read them, though.

Why Rock Hudson?

Marcia: Actually because of you two. I can't remember what you said but you were talking about HOLLYWOOD, the NETFLIX series, in one of the roundtables and people were like, "Yeah, but it's not really Rock Hudson," and you were both like, ''Actually, it's closer to who Rock was than most people realize." And that's what I've found in Darwin Porter's book. But that wasn't the thing that you were talking about. I'll remember about 10 minutes after we're done. But anyway, I really love the book and it really humanizes Rock -- especially to someone like me who really didn't see him as a person. I saw the image. He had an interesting life. I was also, at the time, very upset with the way, in 2021, gays are being portrayed. I am a lesbian. I was watching CHARMED. Was. I'm done with it. Mel is the middle sister. She is also the lesbian character. She has no love life compared to her sisters. It's disgusting. It's like we're back to the 90s and WILL & GRACE where Grace has one man after another, can be seen making out with them and we're lucky if Will and his boyfriend walk out of a door at the same time together. It's disgusting. There's so much homophobia and it's not even considered an issue by a lot of people. I'm just tired of it.


You read your KINDLE books on a tablet?



Marcia: Yes, a SAMSUNG. You don't have to have a KINDLE. AMAZON has a KINDLE CLOUD that they deposit your books in and you just read it on whatever device you want. 



When it comes to books offered? 



Marcia: With KINDLE proper, where you're buying each book, the choices are unlimited. My fear is that if I don't pay attention, I'll be like Lisa in that episode of THE SIMPSONS where she ends up with that huge iTunes bill because she keeps downloading songs. Cheap purchases quickly add up and I could see that happening to me with books.


Marcia, thank you so much for your input.

 

 

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }