Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Note to Our Readers

Hey --
Sunday. One of us, me, Jim, got sick early this morning. (Stomach flu?) And what was a nearly complete edition became another overly long session.

Highlights:

Music Spotlight: Kat's Korner: Springsteen's Seeger Sessions
Blog Spotlight: Rebecca with the latest on Ruth and on Elijah
UNICEF: 25% de los niños iraquíes padecen desnutricion
Blog Spotlight: Mike interviews C.I.
Blog Spotlight: Kat on two radio programs you should be checking out
Humor Spotlight: Betty on Thomas Friedman's Blonde Brain
Humor Spotlight: Wally on the do-as-I-say or as-he-meant-to-say Bully Boy
Humor Spotlight: Betty on Thomas Friedman's leather Prada pumps and tears
Humor Spotlight: Wally on Desperate Congress Members
Humor Spotlight: Attn Pat Robertson, Rebecca Winters has a warning
Recipe Spotlight: Cole slaw in the Kitchen

We thank everyone for allowing us to repost those entries. We had a huge problem with e-mailing them and had to go back to copying and pasting some (those are the ones without the annoying "Do you Yahoo!" message at the bottom). That was time consuming but we were so far ahead of schedule that we thought, "Oh who cares?" Then I got sick and we were delayed, which resulted in some planned highlights not being noted. Our apologies to those who weren't highlighted (Cedric, Elaine and C.I.).

Contributing to new content this edition were:

The Third Estate Sunday Review's Dona, Jess, Ty, Ava and Jim;
Rebecca of Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude;
Betty of Thomas Friedman Is a Great Man;
C.I. of The Common Ills and The Third Estate Sunday Review;
Kat of Kat's Korner (of The Common Ills);
Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix;
Mike of Mikey Likes It!;
Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz;
and Wally of The Daily Jot.

Thank you to everyone.

New content?

"'We were all wrong!' Not so fast" Mike and C.I. brought up this idea. A lot of people who weren't wrong aren't getting the credit they deserve. We're hoping to do this at least once a month (if not more often) and then pull it all together for a longer list. The links take you to some interesting content. (Only one is mainstream, a CNN report.)

"Radio highlights for Sunday" we were pulling this together when I had to run off and throw up (the first time). They pulled it together without me and did so quickly. A rare thing: we note a cable program.

"Laura Flanders spoke with Penny Lang about the importance of music and much more" --
Flanders is back and last night she spoke with folk singer Penny Lang whom we wrongly billed as "Peggy" in the original title (it's been corrected). If you missed it, why!!!! We roughed this out in terms of quotes ahead of time but it was an entry we were intending to finalize later. Jess, C.I., Kat, Ava and Dona added musical information that wasn't on the program and really rounded out the entry. If you enjoy it more than you usually do our highlight of Flanders, credit them for that.

"Into the e-mails" was an attempt at a fast, quick entry. It ran a little longer than expected but still had us on target. (Thanks to Dona for insisting we make it the first thing we worked on.)

"Can an unindicted co-conspirator remain at the White House? Personally, I don't think so." The most recent news on Plamegate and a mini-primer if you've blanked on the story. (The mainstream media appears to have blanked.)

"Senate plays "Don't Spook the Spook" with Michael Hayden" -- thanks to Isaiah for allowing us to use his comic. This was something we were thinking of as a mini-roundtable but my illness left us with the only the rough draft of.

"TV Review: Will & Grace -- goodbye, good riddance" -- I think we all laughed and enjoyed the series. I know no one who enjoyed the finale. Ava and C.I. go beyond the "I hated it!" response I heard repeatedly on campus Friday. If you didn't enjoy it and haven't been able to quite figure out why, they provide the answer.

"Editorial: Here it comes, here it comes again" -- We'd pulled some articles to note. And that's basically it. It was very rough. I read that between groans after it went up and said to Dona, "Wow, we're really disagreeing with C.I." The points we're disagreeing with (about the media not really dropping Operation Happy Talk, just lowering the volume)? Dona said they were done with the editorial when C.I. said, "Wait a minute!" Those were C.I.'s points so C.I.'s disagreeing with C.I. (C.I. said the entry at The Common Ills is 'insta-analysis' done during a quick read through and that the points made here, the contrasting ones, are stronger.)

We'll see you next week.

-- Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, Ava and C.I.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }