Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Truest statement of the week II

When my first interview came out with NBC, the responses, I mean, were mostly supportive, but the responses that weren’t were demanding who I voted for and talking about, you know, I’m from Alabama, so I deserve this mess, like I should just leave. And Alabama and the South at large does not deserve to be the redheaded stepchild of our country, because there are people like us in every other state. And like I said in the Glamour piece, there are people who believe this but, you know, might not have a Confederate flag in their neighborhood.

People in Alabama have to work twice as hard to get the same rights that the rest of the country has and that we deserve. And it’s not something we can just vote away. It doesn’t matter a lot of times who or what we vote for in this state. But that doesn’t mean — we deserve the same rights, the same standard of care as the rest of the country.

 

--  Abby Crain speaking to Amy Goodman, "Alabama IVF Patient’s Warning to Others Outside the State: 'You Are Not Safe'" (DEMOCRACY NOW!).



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }