Monday, October 03, 2022

BEFIT (Dona)

We do read the e-mails -- especially if you send them to common_ills@yahoo.com -- and I've gotten quite a few after last months "No truth in advertising (Dona)."  If you didn't read it, in a single sentence: Jane Fonda is working out in a commercial H&M Move and I was disappointed this was a commercial for clothing.


I wanted a website that had workouts.  Especially Jane Fonda's workouts.  And I was so upset to find that H&M Move just wanted to sell me clothing.


Missy e-mailed and her was the most helpful of them all.  Noting my previous praise for the first part of THE JANE FONDA WALKOUT ["The killing of a video industry (Dona)"], she sent me to BEFIT TV.  This is a channel available on AMAZON PRIME.  It has the Walkout and it also has FIRM & BURN (which Ann and I noted in "Firm & Burn with Ann & Dona").  And it has much more than that, so much more.


I started with the 7 day free trial.  My concerns -- it's $6.99 a month after the trial -- were (a) would it have workouts that I could do and (b) would it have workouts that I would do.  I don't see paying a monthly fee -- whether it's to a gym or a streaming service -- if I'm not going to use it.


Fortunately, there's so much there that I can use.  Jane's yoga workout is there and many more from her.  In addition, there is Billy Blank Jr. who I do like because even his dance workouts are ones I can do.  Betty gave me a tip.  She said, "Always watch the Black woman.  She'll keep it real."  I did and Betty was right.  Even Firm & Burn, which I did again, was better by paying attention to the African-American woman when Jane was throwing arms one way and the hips another and feet were all over.  The African-American woman kept the routine simple.  


Denise Austin, of course, has some very strong routines that don't require years of dance experience.  And she has numerous workouts on BEFIT.  You can find pilates, cardio, butt work, you name it.  Whatever you want to tone or sculpt, there appears to be a video for it on BEFIT.


Do I have a complaint?


Yeah, I do.  It goes to the visual.  Why is every man pretty much a plucked chicken?


My husband (Jim) isn't Austin Powers but he does have some chest hair.  None of the men in the fitness videos I've watched do.  I'm going to assume that they think the look allows the muscles to show.


Maybe it does?


But I'm nothing fancy and, by that I mean, I'm just present.  I'm not trying to place.  Meaning some days I don't have time to shave my legs.  I don't think I'm the only woman with that problem.  And on those days, I'm really not in the mood to see some guy who's manscaped himself out of every hair in the world.  The women are already intimidating, do the men need to define perfection as "hairless" as well?


Other than that, I'm now on week three of BEFIT and I am using it five times a week.  I don't see that changing.  There are enough different workouts to keep me interested and going.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }