Wednesday, July 07, 2021

KINDLE UNLIMITED (Ruth, Ava and C.I.)

 

1summerread

 

In 2018, community sites took turns covering a book every week.  You can see "In 2018, we read books" to review that coverage.  We didn't want to repeat ourselves in 2019 or 2020.  So when Marcia came up with a way to cover books but with a twist, we were all for it.  Marcia's idea was for us to digital books -- we're largely a printed text crowd -- and to use AMAZON's KINDLE UNLIMITED.  So for 2021, we'll be doing a book a week and trying to just use KINDLE UNLIMITED. This week, we're talking with Ruth about her "Margaret Atwood's THE HANDMAID'S TALE."

 

You were surprised by how much you enjoyed the book?


Ruth: I really was. If my review is geared towards anyone, it is geared towards those who read the book years ago and now feel disconnected from it -- due to years passed, the TV show, or whatever. I easily reconnected with it. It is a master work that should be read by any who love North American novels.

You credit KINDLE UNLIMITED with the re-read.

Ruth: Fully credit. I was done with the book and had no thoughts of ever reading it again, the TV show so soured me on Atwood's tale. But it was a free read and I had not yet contributed anything regarding KINDLE UNLIMITED so I grabbed it.

You are otherwise unimpressed with KINDLE UNLIMITED?

Ruth: I really am. I am not thrilled with the selections offered. Let me explain something about the way I am. If I go into a store, unless someone is extremely rude, I buy something. I do not leave empty handed. I say that to explain that KINDLE UNLIMITED, to me, is like visiting a book store because a book I love has come out, then seeing that it is not in stock, so grabbing one of those clearance books on the way out -- not because I really want the book but just to have something to show for my time. That is how I see the selection of books that are offered by the service.

Do you think you will be renewing your subscription at the end of the year?

Ruth: I have desperately tried to get the grandchildren and my sons and their wives interested in using it. Finally, one of my daughter-in-laws is using the service. If she continues to do so, I will re-up at the end of the year, otherwise, no. There is just not enough offered to justify it for me all by myself.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }