Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Jim's World

aa5



I didn't see Hugh Jackman play Peter Allen in the Broadway musical THE BOY FROM OZ.  I didn't know who Peter Allen was then.  If I had known, I would have made a point to see the show.

In fact, forget knowing who he was, if I'd just known he co-wrote (with Carole Bayer Sager) "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love," I would have rushed to see the show.



I love that song.  Since coming across a vinyl album in C.I.'s collection and discovering his performance of it, I've listened to Carole Bayer Sager's version, Melanie's version, Dusty Springfield's version and Rita Coolidge's version.  They are all wonderful.  But there's something about the way that Peter sings it that really drives the song home to me.

If you don't know Peter Allen, here's a brief overview.  He was part of a popular act in Australia.  Judy Garland brought the act back to the United States.  Peter ended up becoming the first husband of Liza Minnelli (Judy's daughter). Later on, he had a longterm relationship with Gregory Connell.

He co-wrote some amazing songs including Olivia Newton John's hit "I Honestly Love You," Melissa Manchester's hit "Don't Cry Out Loud" and Christopher Cross' "Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)."

When I hear "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love," I'm really left to wonder why Liza never recorded it?  It seems like a song made for her to sing.  Especially now, as she has more wisdom and more experience to bring to the song.

In fact, seems like she should record a whole album of Peter's songs.  If she doesn't, maybe Melissa Manchester can?

Someone needs to.   In the eight albums that he released, you can find a goldmine of great songs -- many co-written with Carole Bayer Sager.

Of them all, "I'd Rather Leave While I'm In Love" remains my favorite.  It's just an amazing song.



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }