Monday, December 18, 2017

Jim's World

aa5



Next Sunday, an edition will be worked on.  Next Sunday is Christmas.

Why do we continue to work on this site 12 years later?

Well, it's fun.

But I don't think that's what Edward was wanting when he e-mailed asking his question.

12 years ago, BLOGGER/BLOGSPOT was still relatively new.

Sites sprung up all the time.

I assume they still do but I'm not sure.

I know a large number of people moved to WORDPRESS in 2008 when those supporting Hillary (this site did) were under attack from other sites.

We were more fortunate than many in that we didn't have the attacks so many did.

Or maybe we were just more used to attacks by then?

I think we've carved out our space online as the ones who go their own way.

And I think that's a good thing.

Last week, in an Iraq snapshot, C.I. noted:


The taxpayer draining waste that is THE NEWSHOUR spent a report 'on' Iraq refusing to note these basic realities and instead focusing on Iran versus the US.  And treating that as normal.  As if another country exists solely to be a test lab for the US and Iran.

They have done some lousy reporting on Iraq at THE NEWSHOUR last week but this tops even the nonsense already broadcast.

As usual, the Iraqi people are rendered invisible.

As usual the real problems are ignored.

Instead, PBS encourages you to feel superior to the Iraqi people and take part in 'superpower' wonderment.

They ought to be ashamed.



They should be ashamed.

But so should a lot of people.

Like me.

I actually watched that broadcast and thought it was informative -- at least in a minimal way -- and didn't think anything else of it.

Until the next morning, when I read C.I.'s comments above.

That's when I realized, "Wait, that wasn't a report."

It was a roll out.  It was state justification.

It was about how the US and Iran were engaged in a power struggle over Iran but that wasn't really said nor was it stressed that this was the battle between two governments and that the people in the US and Iran really weren't consulted or informed -- let alone the people in Iraq.

PBS didn't do reporting, it did normalizing.

And it's at moments like that where I'm glad we're still online -- as a community -- and glad we're still plugging away.  What one of us misses, another will catch.  I'm glad of what we've built online and what we've contributed.

So that's the answer to the question at its most simple.






Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }