Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Books (Ty, Ava and C.I.)

1summerread

 

As we did in 2021, we're attempting to again increase book coverage in the community. After a review posts, we try to do a discussion with the reviewer.  This go round, we're talking to Ty about his "REBELS ON THE BACKLOT (Ty)."  The book's Sharon Waxman's REBELS ON THE BACKLOT: SIX MAVERICK DIRECTORS AND HOW THEY CONQUERED THE HOLLYWOOD STUDIO SYSTEM.. You did not like the book?



Ty: No, it was poorly written for one thing.  I can pour over old issues of PREMIERE or MOVIELINE and enjoy them, they're well written.  I didn't like Peter Biskind's EASY RIDERS, RAGING BULLS: HOW THE SEX-DRUGS-AND-ROCK-'N'-ROLL GENERATION SAVED HOLLYWOOD, but it was well written.  She writes like closed caption.  She has no style and no flair.  I'm going to steal from you, C.I., I think she tried to turn a phrase once, ended up on crutches and never tried again.  That really is her writing.  

And you found her a kiss up.

Ty: A huge kiss up.  I would recommend people stay away from the book.  She also is one of those women who hate women.

Good you picked up on that.

Ty: It's really hard to miss.  She's slamming women and over.  And she calls Sofia Coppola "plain."  First off, Sofia is very attractive.  Second, why is she rating Sofia's beauty to begin with?  She doesn't rate the beauty or lack of it when it comes to the directors she's writing about.  She gets in a slam at Winona Ryder and her looks.  One of her 'delightful director' lays on the ground to look up a woman's skirt and she finds that cute and charming.  That's why she's full of s**t by the way, when she claims she wanted to tell the truth about Harvey Weinstein but NYT wouldn't let her.  NYT had nothing to do with this bad book, she could write whatever she wanted.  But she talks about a man looking up a woman's skirt and doesn't call it out, doesn't note it's sexual harassment, just finds it cute.  I could go on and on but she's a horror show.


Is there anything you can recommend about the book?

Ty: Not really.  Go read Peter Biskind's book.  Better written and far nicer to women. 

She infantilizes Helena Bonhem Carter.

Ty: Yeah, she acts like 'little Helena' needed Mommy's permission to make FIGHT CLUB.  She wanted her mother's opinion, as a psychotherapist, of the script which a number of people had a problem with.  She also does a really bad job describing the casting of the film.  She seems to believe that talking to one person makes her an expert so if Fincher tells her something it's true.  She has no idea about Courtney Love being offered the role.  Or that Janeane Garofalo was cast and then lost the part because Edward Norton insisted Courtney Love get the role.  She knows nothing because her 'research' is worshiping at the feet of some male director.  


------------------

Previous book discussions this year.

 

 

"Books (Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Elaine, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Ava and C.I.),"  "Books (Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Isaiah, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Ann, Mike, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Mike, Ava and C.I.),"  "Books (Ann, Elaine, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ann and C.I.)," "Books (Ruth, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Mike, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Rebecca, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Isaiah, Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Stan, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Kat, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Ann, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Trina, Ava and C.I.)," "Books (Marcia, Ava and C.I.)" and "Books (Ava and C.I.)."

 

 

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }