Wednesday, June 02, 2021

A book to avoid (Dona)

Times change. I thought of that while reading Nancy Bacon's LEGENDS AND LIPSTICKS: MY STORIES OF HOLLYWOOD'S GOLDEN ERAS.  I was hoping for something along the lines of Pamela Des Barres' I'M WITH THE BAND but this was a little more staid. The author, now deceased, was a bit older than Miss Pamela and maybe that's why? There wasn't a lot of joy in the book. Events were recounted in a brusque, almost robot-like manner. In fact, it sort of comes across like Mickey Spillane. That style might have been common place or even 'revolutionary' for a woman when the book was first released in the seventies but it just left me cold.

That's the main reason I wouldn't recommend the book. I expected it to have more life. It might have been strong for its time but, to me anyway, it was a chore to read.

Bacon was a writer by profession, of gossip columns.  I can't imagine how dull her pieces must have read.

 

 

 

 

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }