Tuesday, April 10, 2018

10 To Read (C.I.)

This is a new series for THIRD.  Each of us will take turns offering ten books we strongly recommend.  For some, it may be their ten favorite books.  I don't want to present this list as my ten favorite because I didn't give it that kind of thought.  These are ten books that I feel nourish, books that I can reach for over and over (Arundhati Roy's latest novel, published only a few months ago, is the only 'new' book to make my list).  They have all impacted me, changed me, influenced me and, hopefully, will provide something for other readers as well.  I could very easily provide a second list of ten.  This is not a ranking, the order is the order they came to mind.  I treasure all ten of the books below equally.



1) Alice Walker - POSSESSING THE SECRET OF JOY


2) Lucy Hughes-Hallett - CLEOPATRA: HISTORIES, DREAMS AND DISTORTIONS


3) Judith N. Shklar - THE FACES OF INJUSTICE


4) Marjorie Rosen - POPCORN VENUS: WOMEN, MOVIES AND THE AMERICAN DREAM


5) Arundhati Roy - THE MINISTRY OF UTMOST HAPPINESS: A NOVEL



6) Susan Faludi - BACKLASH: THE UNDECLARED WAR AGAINST AMERICAN WOMAN


7) Joan Didion - POLITICAL FICTIONS


8) Frances Moore Lappe - DIET FOR A SMALL PLANET


9) Nancy Chang SILENCING POLITICAL DISSENT: HOW POST-SEPTEMBER 11 ANTI-TERRORISM MEASURES THREATEN OUT CIVIL LIBERTIES


10) Deborah Amos - ECLIPSE OF THE SUNNIS: POWER, EXILE, AND UPHEAVAL IN THE MIDDLE EAST





Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }