Wednesday, November 29, 2023

What the community stands for and stands against

C.I. dictated this for Monday's Iraq snapshot but the snapshot was long and she pulled it.  She's tossed it over to us with the hope that we can use it for this edition..  We can and will.




Now let's wind down on another topic.   This website is not my job.  I receive no money for it and planned to end it in 2008.  And that's when I (and my eyes) were much healthier.  The reason I bring that up is if something's causing me problems, it's just not worth it.

I don't mean a political position I take.  If someone's upset that I've called out their favorite politician or that I'm defending the Palestinians or whatever, I don't care.  I won't be intimidated.

But this nonsense of the stuff you're saying?  Honey, I don't owe you a damn thing.  

We're talking about BLACK POWER MEDIA. 

If you're late to the party go read Betty's piece.  Betty shouldn't have had to write that.  No one should have.  And you damn well better believe that garbage wouldn't have been said if Jacquie or Kim had been on the segment.  That was a homophobic segment, let's be very clear.

It's cute that they start the segment full of praise and saying that they wished their could be  a movie released every week about The Civil Rights Movement.  Which quickly turns into RUSTIN is too gay and that love story -- WTF?

Let's stop right there.  As someone in the industry, there are times when  I think people are too stupid to talk about films.  This was one of them.

The love story?  Tom and Bayard do not have a love story.  Shortly after the film begins, Bayard has moved on from Tom.  Then he's focused on the married guy.  Tom continues to carry a torch for Bayard but that feeling is not returned.  No one refers to George (Warren Beatty) and Jill (Goldie Hawn) having a love story in SHAMPOO because George, like Bayard, is a player.


Apparently, the gay lead character -- and two supporting characters -- gave the three BPM men the heebee jeebies.  And the interracial aspect of Tom and Bayard especially bothered Jared (due to his own parentage).  

RUSTIN is a very good movie.  It is not beyond criticism.  

I assumed BPM would touch on those criticisms.  Ava and I reviewed the film in "TV: Courage -- momentary and otherwise"  and we had touched on some of it.  Bayard has been covered several times at THIRD over the years.  The courage, momentary?  That's a reference to the time the film covers.  Bayard became an embarrassment.  Like too many leftists of the old guard, the 70s and 80s were about becoming conservative -- neoconservative.  He began to support the Vietnam War, he was against affirmative action, go down the list.  By the end of his life, he was often called an "Uncle Tom."


That's what I assumed the BPM segment would focus on.  I didn't know it was going to be a soap box for homophobia.

I had just gotten home when I spoke to Betty, I hadn't read what she wrote.  I told her whatever it was, that's fine.  But that I needed to go stream the segment because it was either already up or about to go up -- I usually do a string of videos at lunch, that will post throughout the afternoon and night.  It was up, by less than ten minutes.

I immediately posted something else.  I did not remove it.  I thought about removing it but I've only done that once.  A veteran had written an important piece and we'd quoted from it in the snapshot.  Some active-duty service members were quoted in what he wrote and he'd just found out that they could get in trouble for what they said.  When he let me know that, I edited it out of the already published snapshot.  That's it here.  I don't try to rewrite history, if it's up, it's up.  

So I just posted a new video less than ten minutes after the BPM had gone up.  

I don't have time for you if you're causing me problems.  

I don't have time to watch everything that goes up here.  Rosie O'Donnell will and has gone up here.  Last week's video didn't.  Why? I didn't have time to stream it.  And I don't usually have to worry about that but her sole guest was . . . an Orthodox Jew.  With the assault on Gaza, I'm not just tossing that up.  I love Tavis Smiley's slate of programs.  They haven't gone up since the assault on Gaza because I don't have time to listen to them and they don't identify what they're doing in their title. 

I think that unless the video features Jacquie or Kim, I'm done posting BPM for the near future.  I love Renee Johnston but I don't have time to go through an hour or more to be sure Jared isn't going off on something I would not condone or post in a normal situation.

I don't condone homophobia and he might have thought he and his two buddies were coming off manly but they were coming off pathetic -- in fact, as pathetic as those in real time were when they attacked Bayard for being gay.  Grasp that, it's over fifty years later and Jared was pulling the same disgusting homophobia.

This follows his on air fight with the Ear Doctor over how the Ear Doctor chooses to handle illness.  This follows his attack on Kim over the Andre 3000 album.  And when he finally realized he'd misunderstood her, that statement was all he offered.  He didn't say, "Wow, I'm so sorry I attacked you on air.  I'm so sorry that when you tried to explain, I talked over you and beat you down verbally."  This is becoming a pattern and I don't have time for it.  Someone else might, I don't.  

BURN IT DOWN WITH KIM BROWN will be posted here and I don't feel I have to vet it.  If Jacquie does a new show (SPUTNIK killed her BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY because they didn't like Jacquie's take -- that the Palestinians are an occupied people), that will go up without vetting.  If Jacquie and Kim are on THE REMIX MORNING SHOW, it will go up.  But otherwise not really interested in BPM. 

Again, I'm not paid for this, this isn't my job and I've got a lot more to do with my time.  So if you create problems for me, you're gone, it's that simple.  


 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }