Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Marcia weighs in on Elvis

 Marcia wrote a long essay about music, about facts, about a documentary and so much more.  We're reposting it.


A few thoughts on Elvis and music

  I watched a documentary called The King.  A bunch of whiny bitches who need to shut the f**k up.  That includes Chuck D and a priss-pot 'brother' who doesn't know s**t and needs to shut his mouth.  I'm searching for that priss-pot's name.  Oh, Van Jones.


Our 9-11 Truther, Van Jones.  He's the priss pot on camera.  What a jerk.  What a con artist.  What a piece of filth.


Let's deal with Chuck D -- F**k you, Chuck.  You oppressed women, who the f**k do you think you are to come in and condemn anyone?

"You turn on a movie and you get an Elvis movie, you turn on the radio and you get an Elvis song," whines Chuck D.

Chuck felts his penis was too small because Elvis Presley was on TV in movies.  It upset tiny peeny Chuckie.  And so he hated on Elvis.

He didn't crown Elvis the King of Rock and Roll!

Who the f**k cares, Chuck?  Your crusty ass lips are old but they ain't that old.  You weren't around to crown him.  He predates you.

Elvis could sing.  Elvis became famous because he could sing and because he was sexy as hell -- even my lesbian ass can feel the sexual heat off Elvis -- and because he was pretty as f**k.  It's a look that many lesbians cultivate, by the way.  Ruby Rose, at her sexiest on Batwoman, looked liked Elvis.  

Those three things made Elvis a star -- singing, sex appeal and gorgeous.  

If you want to talk rip offs, let's talk Pat Boone.  Pat covered R&B hits and did bland versions that White radio would play when they wouldn't play the originals.

Somehow, to Van Jones, "Elvis as hero doesn't register with most Americans."

"Take Black music and become famous," whines Bitch Van The Bitch Jones.

"Hound Dog"?  It's not Black music, Bitch. Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller wrote that song.  Big Mama Thornton didn't write the song, dumb ass bitch.  Two White men, two Jewish men at that, wrote the song.  They let her record their song.

She did a lousy version of it.  Yeah, she's wailing away -- in front of a big band, swing beat.  It sounds like s**t.  The writers produced it but she went along with it.  Oh, and the growl she sang with, Jerry showed her how to sing that.  So let's stop pretending.

Call it R&B, call it rock, when Elvis sang it, the music was completely different, it had the attitude that was in Big Mama's voice but not in the music that went with her recording.

 In the documentary, Van The Bitch Jones whines, "Why do you care so much about rescuing Elvis Presley from the charge that he's a racial appropriator?"

I care about the truth, Bitch.  I get it, you make up facts and you spout loony conspiracy theories and CNN puts you on air despite all that so you think you can get away with any lie, but you can't.  You're an idiot.

F**k you, Van Jones.  He's not a hero unless you're prick face idiot.

He's a famous singer.  He's a legend.  But I don't consider him a hero.  I can enjoy Michael Jackson's music to this day because I don't consider him a hero.  I think he did molest young boys.  But he's not my hero and I can listen to the music and enjoy it without having to glorify Michael as some hero.  I don't think most entertainers are heroes.  I'll hail Diana Ross and Berry Gordy as heroes because they broke the color line and they showed what equality was.  At the height of the Beatles, while most American acts struggled to keep up, Diana Ross -- on Berry Gordy's Motown -- sang 33 top 40 hits -- 12 of which went to number one.  She was all over TV as a musical guest breaking the color line, she was on shows like the Ed Sullivan Show, American Bandstand, Shindig, Hullabaloo, The Sammy Davis Jr. Show, The Red Skelton Show, The Andy Williams Show, The Tennessee Ernie Ford Show, The Hollywood Palace, The Bing Crosby Show: Making Movies, The Dean Martin Show, TCB and GIT On Broadway (with the Temptations), The Dinah Shore Special: Like Hep, the TV show Tarzan.


Notice something too about these bitches Chuck D and Van Jones.  They never celebrate a woman.

They could be making these arguments to celebrate a woman but they're sexist pigs.

Diana Ross broke the color lines.  She was the first African-American woman to be accepted as a trend setter in fashion and beauty regardless of color.  She set trends for young women in the sixties -- young women of all races.  And for some boys and men during that time.

She was the first Black woman to become a superstar.  She moved beyond chart hits, she was an influencer.  She was all over TV and she was glamorous and she broke the color lines.  

But these pieces of human s**t like Van Jones and Chuck D can't give a woman credit.

You get that in the special as the bitch boys whine about how the King of Rock and Roll should be Little Richard, Bo Didley, Chuck Berry -- anyone but Elvis.

What?

F**k Little Richard.  His best known hit is a song about having gay sex but he wants to run in and out of the closet.  Kiss my Black lesbian ass from the grave, Little Richard. "If it don't fit"?  He didn't fit because he was forever hiding in the closet and speaking out against the 'evil' of being gay.  He's a fake ass who couldn't even be honest in the last ten years of his life -- he died at 87 and he was back in the closet.  Johnny Mathis -- a much bigger star than Little Richard ever was -- is gay and 84-years-old and has been out for decades.  Johnny Mathis had 20 top forty hits -- two went number one.  


I love how Van Jones is celebrating Muhammad Ali in the film.  It's that kind of a world, is it Bitch Jones?  We're going to pretend that Ali didn't set back women's rights, we're going to pretend he didn't out right slam women's rights?


You f**king pice of s**t.

Bo Didley is a moment in time.  A one hit wonder.  Only one song of his made the top forty.  That's going to be a King of Rock and Roll?

Facts never mattered to Van Jones.

Chuck Berry?  He certainly deserves some title.  If he's a king, though, he's one dwarfed by Elvis who was a bigger king.  But Chuck's the only one from the fifties who comes close to Elvis -- Black or White.  

I don't get The King.  It's trying to use Elvis as an analogy for the US (they keep saying "America" throughout the film -- that's xenophobic on the part of the expert witnesses like Chuck D and Van Jones and on the part of the filmmakers, "America" includes Canada, Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Cuba, Puerto Rico . . .) and that's false -- like most analogies are -- and really not fair in terms of he died in the 70s and they're condemning the US today.  If they wanted to use the analogy, then the US needed to die within a year or two when Elvis did (1977).

Chuck D is not remembered for anything.  He's a rap pioneer, is he?  Because, hate to break it to you, Chuck, no one in rap does your music.  Rap has left you behind, erased everything you stood for.  It's a party genre now.  It doesn't want to try politics and it has no place for you.  You are the empire in decline now in the world of rap.

I'm not a huge Elvis fan.  

I can probably name 50 musical artists that I like better.  But I do admit he was a great singer.  And there are songs of his I love.  

Here are my top ten favorite Elvis songs:

1) "A Little Less Conversation"

2) "Blue Suede Shoes" 

3) "Love Me Tender"

4) "Are You Lonesome Tonight"

5) "Can't Help Falling In Love"

6) "Crying In The Chapel"

7) "Suspicious Minds"

8) "Jailhouse Rock"

9) "Heartbreak Hotel"

10) "Burning Love"


When I say he's not my favorite, I'm not trying to be rude.  I just mean that artists who  were alive and making hits when I came up are usually my favorites.  I don't think I knew of Elvis until after he died. Like Kamala Harris, I was a child of busing, that's when I come up.  

As a child, I knew Diana Ross, the Jacksons, Stevie Wonder, Carly Simon, the Spinners, Natalie Cole, Cher, Joni Mitchell (my dad got heavily into her starting with The Hissing of Summer Lawns -- and followed her work forward as well as picking up on the previous albums -- but I can remember, to this day the Thanksgiving where he first listened to that album and listened to over and over throughout the weeks up to Christmas -- then he started getting her previous work but for those weeks that's all he listened to), Donna Summer, Michael Jackson as a solo act, Ray Parker Junior, Fleetwood Mac, the Pointer Sisters ("He's So Shy" was their hit that first grabbed me), in the 80s (my teenage years) Tina Turner,  Janet Jackson, Ashford & Simpson (I didn't discover them until 1982's Street Opera), Prince, Pat Benatar, Paul McCartney (when his single "Coming Up" is when I discover him), Lionel Richie . . .

I love a lot of music.  Here would be my top fifty -- Diana's at number one because she is my all time favorite but the rest could fall in any order.


1) Diana Ross

2) Prince

3) Joni Mitchell

4) Stevie Wonder

5) Solange

6) Cher

7) Aretha Franklin

8) the Beatles

9) Janet Jackson

10) the Mamas and the Papas (I love them -- my favorite track?  I'll go with a little known one "Snow Queen of Texas" and "Safe In My Garden")

11) James Brown

12) Tina Turner

13) Patti Labelle

14) Sting

15) Dionne Warwick

16) Alicia Keys

17) the Pointer Sisters

18) the Pretenders

19) Eurythmics

20) George Michael (if I ever loved a man, it was George Michael)

21) Mavis Staples

22) Jody Watley (yes, her 80s work is excellent but I listen to everything she puts out to this day and love it all)

23) the Spinners

24) Earth, Wind & Fire (I was dismissive of them and refused to listen to them until "After The Love Is Gone" -- then I loved them and loved everything they put out after and before)

25) Rihanna

26) Carly Simon

27) Joss Stone ("Drive All Night" remains my favorite Joss song)

28) Laura Nyro (I got into her big time in college)

29) Ashford & Simpson

30) Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland is my favorite of his albums)

31) Blondie (I got on board when they released "Heart Of Glass" and I've never left)

32) the Rolling Stones (I honestly missed them as a child but when I was a teenager, Michael and Mick did "State of Shock" and that got me into the Stones -- favorite songs include "Angie," "Fool To Cry," "Start Me Up" and "She Was Hot" -- and I loved Tina and Mick at Live Aid)

33) Sade

34) Luther Vandross

35) Chaka Khan

36) Lauryn Hill (her first album has never left my playlist)

37) Sly & The Family Stone

38) The Fifth Dimension

39) Fiona Apple

40) Tori Amos

41) Usher

42) Roberta Flack

43) Richie Havens

44) Melanie (Safka)

45) Millie Jackson

46) Natalie Cole ("Dangerous" is my favorite recording but I love pretty much everything she did)

47) Jon Butcher (love everything but "Wishes" is the song, absolutely)

48) Brenda Russell (I lived on Get Here for a semester in college and I have never stopped listening to that album)

49) TLC (one of the great groups of all time -- Destiny's Child was always a Dollar Store knock off of this group)

50) Jill Scott


Elvis doesn't make my top 50.  Doesn't mean he's not great.  I love Mary J. Blige and Rickie Lee Jones and they didn't make my top 50.  I listen to music more than I watch TV.  I read sy fy books more than I listen to music but that's probably the only thing I do more than I listen to music.  I'm sure Elvis would be in my top 100.  He was a great singer and I don't see the need to tear him down -- especially with lies.


 Here's C.I.'s "Iraq snapshot:"







Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }