Monday, October 08, 2018

I HATE EVERYONE . . . STARTING WITH ME (Jess)

Joan Rivers was a hilarious comedian.  I almost didn't know that.  Growing up, we could watch PBS -- anything on PBS -- and that was it.  If I knew Joan at all it was from Mel Brooks' film SPACEBALLS.

And then Ava and C.I. wrote a piece calling her out over some remarks made on WBAI.  C.I. knew Joan and she immediately heard from her on the phone.  They debated the remarks and Ava and C.I.'s contention that it was hateful.  Joan's attitude was that it was funny.

I know that because she followed up with e-mails to this site.  I would reply to them.  She was very funny.  And she eventually took her non-defense and made it into the book I HATE EVERYONE . . . STARTING WITH ME.  She e-mailed a little while after it came out and I told her I wasn't sure if Ava or C.I. had read it yet but I'd let them know she wondered what they thought.  She e-mailed back, "No, dummy, what did you think!"  :D

joan rivers

I loved it and I told her that.

This is a great book.  It's even funnier in softcover because more was added.

Joan saw everything as material for jokes.  If you want to judge her or if you're sensitive, don't read her book.  She's about being funny and she's hilarious here.  I love her comments about celebrities -- from Mickey Rooney all the way through the cast of GLEE.  I love her breakdown of every state in the union and -- Hell, I love it all.  This is a hilarious book.

Need an example?

I hate narcissists.  They never talk about me.

That one kills me.

Here's another.

I hate the Emmy Awards ceremony.  It's just an evening to honor actors who are too old, short, homely or uninsurable to work in movies anymore.  I keep mine on the mantle above my fireplace.


It's a very funny book and she was a very funny lady.

I'd call I HATE EVERYONE . . . STARTING WITH ME  a humor classic and a great way to get to know one of the best comedians ever.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }