Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Note to Our Readers

Hey --
Sunday and so early for us! That's due to a number of things including ignoring Flickr which will not upload this morning. We'll have a picture feature next weekend. We're not adding it when we can get Flickr upload later today.

Here's who worked on this edition:

The Third Estate Sunday Review's Dona, Jess, Ty, Ava and Jim,
Rebecca of Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude,
Betty of Thomas Friedman Is a Great Man,
C.I. of The Common Ills and The Third Estate Sunday Review,
Kat of Kat's Korner (of The Common Ills),
Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix,
Mike of Mikey Likes It!,
Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz,
Ruth of Ruth's Report,
Wally of The Daily Jot,
and Marcia SICKOFITRDLZ.

and Dallas! We thank everyone for their help.

Truest statement of the week -- It really is the truest and what's the most frightening thing about it is the coverage it's getting or not getting.

Editorial: The Whores of Indymedia -- Not getting. The Whores of Indymedia are refusing to cover Sammy Power's revelation that Barack Obama's 'pledge' to withdraw combat troops from Iraq in 16 months of taking office is meaningless and not anything to take seriously. She explained that to the BBC shortly before leaving the campaign last week.

TV: Goodman and Rose 'honoring' bad TV past -- An Ava and C.I. masterpiece. What can you say? We asked (and they're not answering) whether they're referencing to two entertainment shows in this look at Democracy Now! and The Charlie Rose Show to be sure readers aching for Ava and C.I.'s return to reviewing entertainment programming don't feel left out? Again, they aren't answering. This is one of those things that when I (Jim) read it outloud to everyone, I have to stop as I go along because I start laughing. It's hilarious and hard hitting. As the rest of know it, they are biting their tongues on about seven things currently and if they get pissed off enough, they're about to let loose. Though we don't with them to get pissed off, we won't regret it when they let loose. Yes, Coffee Fetchers, they do hold back.

'Baby Jessica' Valenti (Dona) -- This is one of the main reasons we're done at a reasonable (for us) time this morning. Dona read Jessica Valenti's latest nonsense at The Nation Saturday and said, "I'm writing a commentary." We're all glad she did. Baby Jessica is a solid embarrassment (and, Ava and C.I. note, Sam Seder was, once upon a time, happy to note that as well). This is a wonderful article by Dona and, yes, I'm biased here but everyone loved this when Dona read it to us. Dona says, "Big thanks to Ava and C.I. for reassuring me every few paragraphs when I'd go bother them, as they were working on their commentary."

Roundtable -- This is the first thing we posted. Currently, all names are not in bold when people are speaking. We didn't have time, we wanted to get something up or the temptation would be to go to sleep, we were really tired. Instead, we posted this and managed to get everything (except the picture feature) up. Illustrations will be added later if possible to upload (Betty's son photo will be added to this period). C.I. was picked to question Dallas (thank you to Dallas for participating in this) because C.I. (a) knew this issue better than anyone participating having read e-mails all week from Texas community members and (b) Dallas felt most comfortable talking about this with C.I. (Others would have noted the second 'reason' a crackpot had for voting for Obama. C.I. knew Dallas didn't want it brought up and just summarized it in general. It is a false rumor -- as far as anyone knows the man suing Obama is just off balance.) Dona points out that there's a third reason, C.I.'s knowledge meant nothing would slip by and that's obvious in the summaries and quesitons C.I. offers as well as when C.I. stops me as I'm about to wind the discussion on the Texas caucuses down. We're really thankful to Dallas for sharing this. The entire roundtable is solid but, as I note in it, I would have been fine if we'd ended it after Dallas was done.

The death of Our Modern Day Carrie Nations -- Sammy Power. We'll now have to pick a new arch-nemesis (non-media) with her death.

Oh no she didn't! -- Katha Pollitt, providing comedic aid to the nation.

Highlights -- Mike, Rebecca, Betty, Marcia, Elaine, Cedric, Wally and Kat wrote this and picked out the highlights unless otherwise noted. We thank them for it.

And that's what we've got. We're eating breakfast and then all going to sleep. Including C.I. The Common Ills will post this evening. There should be a new comic by Isaiah (we plan to insert last week's in our editorial when we can get into Flickr) and Kat's completed her CD review (it's of Jack Johnson) so that will go up in addition to "And the war drags on . . ." and possibly another entry by C.I. We'll see you next week.

-- Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, Ava and C.I.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }