Sunday, December 22, 2013

Hypocrite of 2013

Beyonce Knowles released her Beyonce album this month.

It contains "Drunk In Love."  On that track about love, passion and sex, Beyonce's husband or beard Jay-Z raps a pro-violence against women spiel which includes:


In '97 I bite, 
I'm Ike Turner, turn up 
Baby know I don't play, now eat the cake, 
Anna Mae 
Said, "Eat the 
cake, Anna Mae!"  


Beyonce is responsible for what goes on her album.  So she joins her husband in endorsing violence against women by including the rap.



"Anna Mae" is Tina Turner and "eat the cake" refers to the last time Ike Turner beat her.


They were headed to Dallas to do a concert and Anna Mae didn't want to eat the chocolate he kept trying to push off on her.

As she explained in I, Tina:



By the time we got to the Hilton, the left side of my face was swollen out past my ear and blood was everywhere -- running out of my mouth, splattered all over my suit.  Ike used his usual story; said we'd had an accident.  The people at the Hilton looked at me and I could tell they were wondering how I'd ever get onstage that night looking the way I did, all beat-up and battered, with my one eye swollen almost shut.

That's not about love, it's not about romance, and it's not about sex.

But Kim Gandy expressed her joy with the album on NPR last week.

Some know Gandy as the former NOW president and are embarrassed for that reason.

But Kim Gandy is now the president (and founder) of the  National Network To End Domestic Violence.


The president of the  National Network To End Domestic Violence went on NPR last week . . .

to praise an album . . .

that argues that violence against women is sexy and act of love.


Kim Gandy, check your blouse -- you've had a hypocrisy slip.


You go on NPR and endorse an album that promotes violence against women as sexy and an act of love -- that trivializes the abuse Tina Turner suffered --  while you're the president of the National Network To End Domestic Violence?

Kim Gandy, you are hypocrite of the year.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }