Sunday, September 04, 2011

Truest statement of the week II

During last month, I was gone for a grueling two weeks in Japan and then nine days for a bus tour of the West Coast advocating Re-creating Revolutionary Communities that are peaceful and sustainable. After I returned, when I was looking through my pile of mail from my PO Box, I found something from my speaking agent, who stopped getting me gigs during my campaign and has only arranged two since. She was forwarding me a "Notice to Levy" from the IRS that said I owed more than 104 grand to them for 2005 and 2006. This is where the good timing comes in.

The Institute for Policy Studies recently did research and found that 25 of the top 100 companies doing business in the US paid their CEO's more than the government! The biggest war profiteer of all, General Electric, which made 10.8 billion dollar profit worldwide in 2010, received a 3.2 billion dollar refund from the IRS -- the IRS says that I owe them more than General Electric does? Here in the US, GE conveniently recorded a loss of 10.8 million dollars (so where does the 3.2 billion refund come in?) in 2010. The head of GE, Jeffrey Immeldt, gets 15.2 million in yearly compensation AND a position in the Obama Administration, while I have been informed I can face up to five years in prison for being "frivolous," with my moral and ethical compass -- even though I recorded a priceless loss in 2004.


-- Cindy Sheehan, "If a=b, then b=a" (Cindy Sheehan's Soapbox).
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }